Recently I’ve met with a couple of newly graduated professionals seeking some insight into our industry and the workplace in general. I shared a few resources that have helped me figure a few things out thus far, and I thought they were worth sharing here, too (plus several additions I thought of after the fact.)
- Ask a Manager: If I could recommend one resource to every person ever, this would be it. This blog has useful info for all career stages, including hiring, firing, interviewing, cover letters, and advice on workplace norms. This post in particular….pure gold.
- The Art Of Client Services: Not a blog. But a great, quick read for client-facing agency pros.
- Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life): Another book. Cathie Black was basically the OG badass career woman of the 80s and 90s, pre-Marissa Mayer and Sheryl Sandberg. I wouldn’t take all her advice as gospel, but it’s definitely worth the read.
PR specific resources:
- PR Daily: As the name implies, PR Daily aggregates articles about various facets of the PR industry…daily. Currently loving this article.
- Mr. Media Training: Great reference for interviews and all things media relations. If I have a specific question when prepping a client, there’s probably an article on it here.
- NYC PR Girls: This blog isn’t updated nearly as frequently as it was when I was a regular reader; however, the “Career & PR” archives have some great info.
- Journalistics: Another blog with relatively sparse updates, BUT this is definitely a quality over quantity situation.
- On Writing Well
- The Elements of Style
- The Associated Press Stylebook: because duh.
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action: Never stop learning, right? I just started this one and so far, am really enjoying it. More info on his concepts is here. The quote that inspired me to pick this one up (read: download Audible and log into my husband’s account)? This gem: